Plan ahead for your performance review! Find out if it is directly related to a merit increase (raise = more money). You should keep track of your progress and communicate with your boss throughout the year so there are no surprises.
- A great way to set goals
- It is a tool to help you get promoted
- Career Counselor/Boss might not be “great”
- Time consuming and tends to be viewed as a chore
Preparing for your Performance Review
- Keep track of your “kudos”
- Take credit for team accomplishments, within reason
- Don’t blow off your self-assessment
- Give yourself all meets or exceeds expectations
- Give specific examples of accomplishments
- Know the metrics you are evaluated against in advance
- Be prepared to accept any opportunities for improvement without arguing. You won’t change his/her mind – focus on how to improve the aspect of moving forward.
- Use the Goals section to your advantage!
Links and Resources
- Dilbert Performance Review – https://youtu.be/XqfwYkpOLg4